A must-try nourishing pesto pasta recipe with a twist! This is a delicious plant-based main meal or side dish that you can serve hot or cold. Keep this recipe on hand to diversify your weekday meals, impress friends and family on your next dinner party or potluck. Super easy to make and you can triple the ingredients to make large quantities perfect for BBQs, picnics, gatherings and more.
Pepita & Macadamia Pesto Pasta
- 125g organic quinoa & rice pasta
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2cm lengths
- 100g snow peas, trimmed
- 5g dukkah (optional)
- 75g organic pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 40g Australian roasted macadamias
- 25g fresh basil leavez
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes toasted
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- 125mL organic olive oil
- 1 tbs organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs organic maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- For the pesto sauce, roast pepitas for 5-6 minutes, stirring halfway. Allow to cool.
- Combine the pepitas and the remaining pesto pasta sauce ingredients in a food processor and
- blend until combined. Taste to check for seasoning.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container with a thin layer of olive oil over the top to prevent oxidisation.
- For the asparagus and snow peas, prepare a bowl of iced water and bring a small saucepan of water to the boil.
- Place the asparagus and snow peas in the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds, strain and place in iced water. Strain once cooled.
- For the pasta, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add pasta and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain pasta, saving a small amount of cooking water, then return pasta to saucepan.
- Stir through ¼ cup of the pesto sauce, the cooked asparagus and the snow peas. Add back a
- little bit of pasta water if needed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of savoury bush dukkah on top.