Packed with fresh herbs and lemon; this gluten-free tabbouleh is perfect for any Middle Eastern feast. We’ve topped it with za’atar spice and grilled tofu which is quick and easy to make if you’re not in the mood for the faff of falafels.
Gourmet Grain & Rice Tabbouleh With Grilled Tofu
- Zest & juice of half Lemon
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 tsp Za’atar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 250g Tofu, cut into half centimetre slices
For the tabbouleh
- 100g or 1/2 cup organic multigrain rice
- 200ml water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 50g fresh mint
- 30g fresh parsley
- 1/2 a small cucumber
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 150g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Start with marinating the tofu. In a large shallow dish combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, za’atar and mix well. Add the tofu to the marinade, making sure it’s well coated and set to one side.
- Rinse the nutty rice blend in a fine-mesh sieve and then transfer to a medium pot. Add the water and the salt to the pot and bring the rice to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Cook the rice for 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Gently fluff the cooked rice with a fork and allow to cool.
- Remove the woody stems from the mint and discard. Finely chop the tender mint leaves along with the parsley and transfer to a large bowl. Cut the cucumber in half, lengthways, remove the seeds with a teaspoon and discard. Finely chop the cucumber and add to the herbs along with the quartered tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and cooled rice. Mix well to combine and adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- Place a grill pan (or frying pan) on the stove top on medium-high heat. Grill the tofu slices with a drizzle of olive oil for 3 minutes each side. Be careful not to crowd the pan, you may need to grill the tofu in two batches.
- Serve the tabbouleh topped with grilled tofu, fresh lemon wedges and your choice of sides (pita bread, hummus and babaghanoush all work beautifully).