- Mix all the dough ingredients together in a bowl or you can use your mixer with a dough hook. Keep mixing until a dough is formed. It does thicken as you mix.
2. Tip out on to a floured surface or a silicone mat.
3. Divide the dough into 3 equal sized portions.
4. In a bowl mix together the butter, garlic and herbs (if using) to make the filling.
5. Roll one portion of dough out to a 25 x 20 cm rectangle. Flour regularly to stop sticking.
6. Spread the dough with ⅓ of the butter mixture. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
7. Roll tightly from the long edge. Set aside and complete with the two remain portions.
8. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper. Plait the three rolled scrolls together on the tray. Either leave on the tray (you will have a more spread out loaf) or transfer to a sided loaf tin (this gives a higher compact loaf), do this by lifting the paper and placing it all as one unit into the sided tin.
9. Brush the top with any remaining butter mixture.
10. Leave to rise in a warm draught free place for about 40mins.
11. Once risen, bake in a hot oven, 200°C for 35-40 mins. Check after 30 minutes to make sure it isn’t starting to burn.
12. Leave to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serving Option: Brush with pesto or sprinkle with fresh herbs